Author Topic: How to make your own Inventing Overhaul  (Read 148 times)

Online KittyTheSnowCat

• Mod Maven
  • Regular +
  • Child
How to make your own Inventing Overhaul
« on: March 04, 2018, 06:55:20 PM »
Hi everyone,
I finally found some time to do this.
As you know I changed the items that can be invented with the inventing table via a tuning Mod which I uploded on MTS:

But of course every game needs a different Overhaul. So here is the tutorial to make your own. I hope everyone will share their files and then we will have lots of resources for different gameplay :)

I am not going to cover how to use s3pe and tuning Mods in general, this can be found here:

The Original tuning file can be found in the gameplaydata.package and is called Inventing.

Right click it and select Export-> To package, give the package a name you can remember and then open up that newly created package.

Now let's look at that file.

As you can see the file starts with <Inventing> (and ends with >/Inventing at the bottom). After this comes one set with the default settings. Leave these parts.

Now every single Inventions you can make has it's own entry starting with <Inventions> and ending with </Inventions>.
All inventions are listed that way until somewhere in the bottom there are other entries called <Detonate>. Leave the <Detonate> entries as they are. We are going to change the inventions.

Now let's look at the entry for one invention.

This is the entry to invent a widget called MoonGlobe. I am going to ignore the Medator_Instance_Name for now and go through the rest first.
First: You always have to open a new entry with <Inventions> and close it with  </Inventions> or it won't work.

There are three categories for the inventing workbench. Widget, Toy and Invention. What you out in there determines for which category in the skillbook your item counts.

How many pieces of Scrap it takes to build this.

How many pieces of Scrap it takes to build this if you have the Master Inventor achievement.

At what minimum Skilllevel this can be invented.

The time it takes to build this. It will be a random number between those two values and those are Sim minutes.

The Medator_Instance of the Item which appears on the workbench after the invention is done. EA has smaller versions of the big objects so you don't have a huge time machine on your workbench. You can just put in the same value as for the first entry. Or if you item is a car you can put one of the toy cars in there or any other item.. It is just for show.

Which brings us to Medator_instances. How do you know what to put in there?

Most of the time it is the same name the item has in S3OC.

So surfingBoard in this example.
However if you just put in surfingBoard it would not work. Why not?
 Let's take a look at the other tags. Here is the first entry with the default settings and all the available tags.

As you can see there is a tag called <EpVersion>. If you don't include this tag in your entry the game will use the default option and assume your item is from EP2 which is Ambitions. If it does not find an item with your name in the Ambitions items it will spawn a weird white sqare.

So back to the Medator_instance. I said most of the time the name is the same as in S3OC, so how do you make sure you have the right name? Loading the XML over and over again would be really time consuming so luckily there is another way using NRAAS DebugEnabler.

I hope this looks familiar to you. In the DebugEnabler window you need to enter Medator_instance,EpVersion.
If you are right about the name the object appears.

This way you can quickly test through all your object names until you have the right ones. I had two cases where the names were different, in S3OC they had an underscore in the name and the Medator_Instance was without the underscore and the characters behind the underscore.

So what if you cannot guess the name or want to add custom objects?
That works too.
Arsils Generic Food Maker on MTS has a Tutorial how to create NGMP entries for CC items. The Medator_instance is simply the name you would type into the Generic food maker.

So that is all you need to know. If you have questions ask them here.
Having too many items in the list will slow the InventingWorkbench Menu down so choose the items you want wisely. Also if you buy too many scraps because you don't want to run out while testing the Workbench will lag like crazy (which totally confused me because I thought I had broken it).

Offline RoocheySims

• Deposed Ruler
  • Retired
  • Young Adult
  • Despite the constant negative press covfefe
Re: How to make your own Inventing Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:59:51 AM »
Thanks for this, Snow, I'm definitely going to try this!

Offline Norn

• Globetrotting Travel Writer
  • Regular +
  • Teenager
  • Nothing to read here.
    • Pretty pictures
Re: How to make your own Inventing Overhaul
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
Wow, thank you! One day... one day I will try all of this!