Author Topic: The reshade thread  (Read 625 times)

Offline Tito

• Jaime's Real Father
  • Administrator
  • Young Adult
  • Eternal happieness is rhubarb tard.
    • Titosims on tumblr
The reshade thread
« on: February 19, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »
      As promised, here is a thread for everything reshade. I will write a short tutorial, with a link to the download page of reshade aswell as a video-tutorial, that I found very useful and that tought me how to handle this neat little program.

This is for reshade version 3.1.1.

DOWNLOAD RESHADE HERE.

I will write a tutorial here, but I also highly suggest, you watch THIS VIDEO TUTORIAL by Harrie on youtube.
It's pretty long and it's for TS4, but that doesn't matter, it really works the same for TS3 (and probably every other (Sim-) game.

Once you've downloaded reshade, unzip it and follow the installation pop-up and install the program.
It will add some files to your Sims/game/bin folder. That is where your Reshade Presets go aswell. Just plop the .ini files into your Simsgame/game/bin - folder.

• Once you have everything installed properly, open your game and wait until it's fully loaded. Once it has, you should pick a 'view' in your game, that shows you a good portion of things, like a scenery shot with a house, water, trees, etc and/or a Sim.

• Now you press control+F2, to open the reshade console. It will take a moment to load, you'll see a text at the top of your screen and also the % of how much it's loaded.

• The first time, you open reshade, there will be a short tutorial, that you should follow.
    It will explain, how to load a preset (there's a dropdown menu on top, where it shows your installed presets and you can pick one) and how to tweak it to your liking.

• The cool thing about version 3.1.1. is, that you can easily check and uncheck features and also can adjust them by dragging little bars. It's also very handy, that you can do that while your game is running and immediatley see the changes, which makes tweaking super easy!

• Once you have all the settings adjusted and the game looks the way you want it to, make sure you go to the 'Settings' tab and choose 'Performance Mode' instead of 'Configuration Mode' (the tutorial will tell you that.) That makes everything run much faster, so don't forget to do it!

• In the settings tab, you can also choose a hotkey to toggle reshade on and off, aswell as a hotkey you take your pictures with. (To toggle it on and off, I use the 'O' key on my keyboard and the backspace key for taking pictures.)

• You also need to choose a path to a folder, where you want your pictures to be saved.
    By default, reshade will save your screenshots to your Sims/game/bin directory, which nobody wants, so make sure, you'll set a proper location. (I just have two folders on my desktop, named 'TS3 reshade' and 'TS4 reshade', where my pics are saved for easy access.)

• Reshade should automatically save the changes you made to a preset or incase you made a new one, automatically save that.
    Incase it doesn't, open the properties of your Sims/game/bin folder, go to the security tab and give it write permissions.
[/list][/list]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:03:12 PM by Tito »
on tumblr:
TS2 :bear:TS3 (main)  :bear: TS4

Offline Tito

• Jaime's Real Father
  • Administrator
  • Young Adult
    • Titosims on tumblr
Presets
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »
Reshade presets come in .ini-files, that you put in your Sims/game/bin folder.
(It's usually just one file, so incase you download something and there's more than one file, you probably got a preset for an earlier version of reshade and I have no idea how to make that work in the version we are using (3.1.1.))

You can find a lot of presets by just googling for 'Sims Reshade Presets' or checking Lanas CC finds blog. (Not all presets work for all versions of reshade. As we are working with version 3.1.1. here, make sure you check if the preset is compatible with it, before you download it)

Here is a list of presets I can recommend:

"Lovely" by yulllm

"Soft Dreams" by whiisker

"Nostalgia" by honeybodies

"Better Things" by andromeda-sims

"Drama" by pixelore

all presets by gabreux

"Someone's gonna need a grave" by midpoosimmer (lol)

"Pop them colors" by katverse

"Hazy days and blueberryade" by pictureamoebae

"Sandstorm" by wanderlust-online

"Cruise" by wanderlust-online

Preset by butterscotchsims

all presets by pickypikachu
-> Her "Reshade Low" - preset is awesome for gameplay in both games. It just makes everything brighter and more colorful, but really doesn't overdo it.

Titos TS3 Preset
(I made this one for my photoshoots. It makes things a little brighter, a bit more saruated and also adds shadows, lightning, has a reflective bumpmap and of course depth of field and all the fancy lenslflare and lightning options)

Acquiresimoleons' Reshade Preset
(It's made for TS3 so it works wonderfully with it!)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:43:51 AM by Tito »
on tumblr:

Offline Tito

• Jaime's Real Father
  • Administrator
  • Young Adult
    • Titosims on tumblr
Picture taking with reshade
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 12:29:37 PM »
So, taking pictures in reshade is a bit different, than you usually take pictures in the games.

I personally did not choose the 'C' key to take pictures with reshade, as that would make you have the pictures twice, once with the reshade effects, in your reshade-pics-folder and once without in your documents/Sims/screenshots folder.

So make sure, you pick a key, that doesn't have any function in game, but is comfortable for you, to take pictures with.
I use the backspace-key.
That can be a bit annoying incase you want to correct a cheat or look for something in the TS4 buymode and have to fix something you wrote, but it's really working quite okay for me, I just delete the unwanted screenshots, I sometimes accidentally take because of that.

Reshade takes screenshots with that hotkey you chose for taking pictures, no matter if it's toggled on or off.

It also takes a picture of your whole screen.
That means if you pause your game and have the red pause-frame on your picture, it will capture that, too, aswell as your cursor.
So make sure you get into tab mode and/or toggle the ingame UI off with the F10 key on your keyboard.

I would also advice, that you use hotkeys for some of reshades effects, like 'DoF' (Depth of field, means 'blur' either near or far - you can set that) or any kind of lightning and lens-effects.
I personally do not always want those on my pictures, so it's handy to use hotkeys for them, so you can toggle them on and off quickly, for taking a picture.
I am using the number-keys for that, starting at 5, since 1-4, the game uses for ingame speed.

It is also important to know, that you can/should disable edgesmoothing in your game-settings, in both TS3 and TS4, as this makes some of reshades effect look wonky and you also don't need it anymore, since reshade takes care of it.
(I really really LOVE that, having edgesmoothing off, does so much for my game performance!)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:44:21 PM by Tito »
on tumblr:

Offline Tito

• Jaime's Real Father
  • Administrator
  • Young Adult
    • Titosims on tumblr
Other ingame environmental mods that work well together with reshade
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 12:37:49 PM »
To improve the overall look in your game, I highly recommend you using some awesome graphic mods/tweaks, that people released for both games.
Here's a list for what I like in TS3 and TS4.

TS3:

Lightningmods by brntwaffles
-> You can only have one at a time, so you have to decide for one. Her lightningmods usually come with different kinds of water, which I find really handy!
She also has some TS4 lightning mods on there, so be careful and download a TS3 one for your TS3 game, lol.
I have no experience with TS4 lightning mods by this  creator, so I cannot say anything about that.

Outdoor Lightning Tweaks

High Resolution Shadows

I also recommend to use a HQ mod.
I use either the highest resolution HQ & No Glow Mod or Ameenahs HQ Mod.

---

TS4:

Luumias No Glow Mod

and

Luumias No Blue Mod
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:42:35 PM by Tito »
on tumblr:

Offline Tito

• Jaime's Real Father
  • Administrator
  • Young Adult
    • Titosims on tumblr
Reshade and Editing
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »
I like reshade a lot, because it saves me a lot of time, that I usually spent, editing my pictures, to make them brighter, more colorful or add shadows and highlights, etc.
Everything mentioned above, pretty much isn't needed anymore, when you use reshade.
The only thing I now do to my pics, is croping and resizing them and using topaz clean for a more defined and high-res finish.  For Sims pictures, I also like to add a dropshadow.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:12:18 PM by Tito »
on tumblr:

Offline Tito

• Jaime's Real Father
  • Administrator
  • Young Adult
    • Titosims on tumblr
Examples
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:11:51 PM by Tito »
on tumblr:

Offline Tito

• Jaime's Real Father
  • Administrator
  • Young Adult
    • Titosims on tumblr
Now it's your turn!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:10:37 PM »
Okay, that's it for now. I hope this is understandable and helpful, for you guys.
Please feel free to ask your questions here and also share your experiences and (favourite-) presets now!
on tumblr:

Offline Norn

• Globetrotting Travel Writer
  • Regular +
  • Teenager
  • Nothing to read here.
    • Pretty pictures
Re: The reshade thread
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »
Wow, Tito, that was a lot of work!  I will have a look at it in detail  :heart:  Thank you so much!  :flower:

Offline Tito

• Jaime's Real Father
  • Administrator
  • Young Adult
    • Titosims on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »
You are very welcome!
It was a lot of work, indeed, especially because I accidentally closed the tab, the first time I had written it all down and added links, which is why I now decided to make several posts  :whew: :laughing:
I really had fun though and I really hope this'll be helpful!
on tumblr:

Offline RoocheySims

• Deposed Ruler
  • Retired
  • Young Adult
  • Despite the constant negative press covfefe
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »
Thank you Tito, can't wait to try this!

Offline Hellfrozeover

• Bronie Puncher